(4) He utters the first saying from the cross about the people crucifying Him, “Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing.” Luke 23:34 .
(5) The soldiers part His garments Matthew 27:35 ; Mark 15:24 ; Luke 23:34 ; John 19:23 ; Psalm 22:18. Pilate wrote a sign and put it on the cross: “This is Jesus of Nazareth the King of the Jews”. This was the first gospel tract. [John 19:19; Matthew 27:37; Mark 15:26; Luke 23:38]
(8) To the repentant thief, the second saying, “Today you shall be with Me in Paradise.” Luke 23:43 .
(12) The fifth saying, “I am thirsty” John 19:28 .
(13) The sixth saying, “He said, It is finished” John 19:30 .
(14) The seventh saying, “Father, into Your hands I commit My Spirit” Luke 23:46 .
[shortly after 3:00 pm] (15) Our Lord voluntarily dismisses his spirit to die for the sins of the whole world Matthew 27:50 ; Mark 15:37 ; Luke 23:46 ;John 19:30 1 John 2:2. The veil of the temple split from top to bottom, the earth quaked and many saints in graves were raised. Then the centurion said “Truly this was the Son of God!” Matthew 27:51-54
[After soldiers declared Jesus dead– John 19:31-37] (16) With permission from Pilate, Joseph & Nicodemus immediately wrapped the body in a clean linen cloth, laid Jesus in a tomb and rolled a large stone over the entrance to the tomb. Matthew 27:57-60; Mark 15:42-46; Luke 23:47-55; John 19:31-42
Source: Modified from Scofield Bible Study Notes free on-line. Scripture above from NASB:
Times are from the scripture: Mark 15:25- The third hour-9:00 am; Mark 15:33-the sixth hour-12:00 pm; Mark 15:34- the ninth hour- 3:00 pm
Henry Luke 5/17/2016