Matthew 21: 10 When He had entered Jerusalem, all the city was stirred, saying, “Who is this?” 11 And the crowds I were saying, “This is the prophet J Jesus, from Nazareth K in Galilee.” [I- Now large unbelieving crowds from the city joined the disciples and were confused about the identity of Jesus. J- they called Him prophet, but not the Son Of God. K- They thought no good thing could come out of Nazareth. Nathaniel said this in John 1:46]
How do I worship and praise God today? How do I make my prayers and/or worship God-centered and not self-centered?
Adoration/praise, Confession, Thanksgiving, Supplication/petition/intercession!
Praise motivates the other 3 kinds of prayer & worship. As I Praise God’s holiness, greatness, goodness, power and love the more I will recognize:
–my own sin, confess my desperate need for forgiveness & a changed heart;
–the tremendous blessings I have to be thankful for;
–the need to order my priorities to God’s will, not mine in my petitions & intercessions.
1. To open my heart to Adoration/praise of God I will begin with scripture selected from Psalms 146-150, the Lord’s Prayer, Psalms 23, the 10 Commandments, etc.
2. Since I tend to commit the same sins again I must not only Confess and repent, but find a way to change my heart so that over time my actions change. Tim Keller in his book “Prayer” p.217-220 suggests focusing on: Self-examination and Repentance.— To find what I need to confess & repent I will compare my actions or omissions to lists in God’s word such as: With diligence pursue these qualities [2 Peter 1:5-9]; The Fruit of the Spirit [Galatians 5:22-23a] & Putting off the deeds of the flesh [Galatians 5:19-21]; the Ten Commandments, etc. Here is an example: The fruit of the Spirit For other posts in this series click on “self-examination” in tagged at the bottom of the post.
3. To help me be thankful I will memorize scriptures about being thankful, make a list of maybe 100 things I have to be thankful for & use my list of divine appointments.
4. I will keep a short prayer log for Petitions & intercessions in God’s will & record answers.
5. Scripture Memory: Romans 3:25-26 25 whom God displayed publicly as a propitiation in His blood…This was…26 so that He would be just and the justifier of the one who has faith in Jesus.
Henry Luke 3/29/2017