The words below are from an assortment of web sites, the book “The Harbinger” and my own words as I have tried to understand and condense this interesting book. I take responsibility for any errors that might result.
Some initial thoughts. America is not Israel or a replacement for Israel. Israel is God’s only covenant nation. However, America was founded on the principles of God. The judgments of Israel are unique to Israel, but similar events may be a warning sign of the need for repentance in America. The fact that events have occurred in the past is no evidence they will be repeated in the same way, same order or same timing.
Henry Luke June 8, 2015
The Harbinger is by Jonathan Cahn, senior pastor of Jerusalem/Beth Israel Worship Center in Wayne, New Jersey; with over 2 million copies sold. A messianic Jewish congregation, Cahn’s church is probably the largest such congregation in America. Set in a fictional narrative framework, The Harbinger centers on events in eighth century BC Israel and are directly connected with Isaiah 9:10:
“The bricks have fallen down, But we will rebuild with hewn stones; The sycamores are cut down, But we will replace them with cedars.”
In the book, the nine harbingers are given over a period of time to journalist Nouriel Kaplan by a figure identified only as “The Prophet.” In the book, Kaplan relates his conversations with The Prophet to Ana Goren, a Manhattan publishing executive. These then are the three characters of the book. Ostensibly fiction, Cahn clearly uses the book to relate incontrovertible facts about both Israel in the 8th century BC and America in the early 21st century.
In summary, here are the harbingers Cahn sees using Isaiah 9:10 and how they apply to both 8th century BC Israel and 21st century America (a harbinger is anything that foreshadows a future event):
1. The First Harbinger: The Breach. For Israel in the 8th century BC, God removed His hedge of protection from Israel, with Assyria’s 1st invasion being the result 732 BC. Instead of repenting after this warning Israel defied God. Then in 722 BC the Assyrians completely destroyed Israel (The 10 Northern Tribes). For America, Cahn suggests that God removed His hedge of protection, with the terrorist attacks on 9/11. Page 25-33.
2. The Second Harbinger: The Terrorist. For Israel, the Assyrians were like modern day terrorists. For America, the terrorists of 9/11 were like 8th century BC Assyrian terrorists. Page 34-42.The Assyrians controlled the middle east during the 8th century BC including the area now known as Iraq. Mosul, Iraq is across the Tigris River from old site of Nineveh the capital of Assyria.
3. The Third Harbinger: The Fallen Bricks. The clay bricks of Israel’s 8th century BC walls, were like the “bricks” that fell at the World Trade Center on 9/11. Page 43-56
4. The Fourth Harbinger: The Tower. For Israel, their leaders in the 8th century BC defied God by rebuilding the city without any evidence of repentance. For America, its leaders defied God instead of repenting by planning to rebuild the towers destroyed on 9/11. Page 57-67
Isaiah 9:10 “The bricks have fallen down, But we will rebuild with hewn stones; The sycamores are cut down, But we will replace them with cedars.”
The Israelites instead of repenting after the warning, defiantly said we will replace the bricks with huge stones and the sycamores with stronger cedar trees. In other words we will rebuild stronger.
America’s leaders said the same things: “From the mayor of New York City in the wake of the 9/11 attack: ‘We will rebuild.. .“
“From the state’s senior senator: ‘We will rebuild… ‘
“From the state’s governor: ‘We will rebuild. And we will move forward.’
“From the state’s junior senator: ‘We will rebuild…’
“From the city’s mayor at the time of the rebuilding: ‘We will rebuild, renew, and remain the capital of the free world.’
“From the president of the United States: ‘We will rebuild New York City.’
“One way or another, each leader would end up proclaiming the same words of defiance proclaimed thousands of years before by the leaders of ancient Israel.”
“And as with ancient Israel, it wasn’t just the speaking of words.”
“The words were likewise followed by action. The ruins of 9/11 were cleared away. Then a sign appeared at Ground Zero with these words: ‘A new icon will soon rise above the Lower Manhattan skyline.., the Freedom Tower.”
“It was to be an icon of defiance. Defiance—the word comes up again and again in the commentaries about Israel. Listen: “It is the defiance of a people who, far from being repentant, glory in their iniquity.
“To be heedless when God is speaking, by whatever voice He may address us, is surely iniquitous enough, but to act in deliberate defiance of the Almighty is, by many degrees, worse. “Proud defiance of God always brings disaster.’°
5. The Fifth Harbinger: The Gazit Stone. For Israel in the 8th century, they used quarried and dressed stones to rebuild, rather than clay bricks. For America, quarried Adirondack stone was the cornerstone of the new tower at the 9/11 site. The site was eventually changed and the stone was not used. Page 68-77
“On the day that America officially began its rebuilding by replacing the fallen bricks of 9/11 with the Gazit Stone, the governor of New York would make a proclamation from the floor of Ground Zero. Listen to the words:
“Today, we, the heirs of that revolutionary spirit of defiance, lay this cornerstone….”
6. The Sixth Harbinger: The Sycamore. For Israel, most of its fig-mulberry (sycamore) trees were cut down by the invading Assyrians. For America, a lone American sycamore stood in the yard of St. Paul’s Chapel near the World Trade Center and was knocked down as a result of the collapse of the Towers on 9/11. It protected the church from destruction. Page 78-86
7. The Seventh Harbinger: The Erez Tree. Israel in the 8th century BC intended to replace the destroyed Sycamore with cedar trees, in defiance of God. For America, a Norway spruce was planted at Ground Zero. Page 87-98 “During the act of replacement ceremony, the officiant bestowed on the tree a name. He proclaimed: This Ground Zero Tree of Hope will be a sing of the indomitable nature of human hope…”
8. The Eighth Harbinger: The Utterance. Words of defiant pride and arrogance were uttered by Israel after Assyria’s invasion. For America, when its leaders repeat Isaiah 9:10, they are vowing to defy God’s judgment on America. Page 99-113
In the autumn of 2004, the nation was in the final stage of a presidential election. The candidate campaigning on the Democratic ticket for the office of vice presidency, was a member of the Senate. What would proceed out of his mouth would be even more precise and more eerie than that which had been spoken over the stone at Ground Zero.
September 11, 2004, the third anniversary of the calamity, these are the exact words spoken that day in Washington DC, the nation’s capital city:
“Good morning. Today, on this day of remembrance and
mourning, we have the Lord’s word to get us through:
The bricks have fallen
But we will build with dressed stones
The sycamores have been cut down
But we will put cedars in their place.”
“The entire speech actually emanated out of the ancient prophecy and revolved around Isaiah 9:10?” “It was the cornerstone on which the speech was built.”
“So an American leader built an entire speech on an ancient vow spoken in defiance of God by the rebellious leaders of a doomed nation?” “And lest the connection be missed, he proceeded to join the ancient words of judgment to America.”
“He said this: “Let me show you how we are building and putting cedars in those three hallowed places. “And again; “And in a place where smoke once rose, you and I, we will see that cedar rising. “And yet again: “You will see that while those bricks fell and the sycamores cut down, our people are making those cedars rise.” “He’s actually linking the fallen bricks of Ground Zero to the fallen bricks of Israel’s judgment!” “He speaks as well of fallen sycamores and rising stones…”
“The Gazit Stone.” “Yes, and rising cedars.” “The Erez Tree.” “And all referring to America’s campaign to defy the calamity of 9/11, as he links it all to the judgment of ancient Israel. And then he crowns the address with a dramatic conclusion in the form of a final vow:
“The cedars will rise, the stones will go up, and this season of hope will endure.”
“And he never realized it?” “He had absolutely no idea what he was doing?”
9. The Ninth Harbinger: The Prophecy. For Israel, Isaiah 9:10 was a prophecy from God as to what would happen to Israel. For America, Isaiah 9:10 may likewise be a pronouncement of judgment from God. Page 114-124
“These are the words proclaimed by the Senate majority leader on Capitol Hill, the morning after 9/11, to present and sum up the nation’s response to the calamity. Listen… “I know that there is only the smallest measure of inspiration that can be taken from this devastation, but there is a passage in the Bible from Isaiah that I think speaks to all of us at times like this…
The bricks have fallen down, ‘But we will rebuild with dressed stone; The fig trees have been felled, ‘But we will replace them with cedars.
The ancient vow had actually been proclaimed to the nation from Capitol Hill—the vow of fallen bricks and sycamores had echoed through the halls of the United States Congress, and all on the morning after 9/11.”
He was identifying America as a nation under judgment.” “Yes, unwittingly.”
“The majority leader of the United States Senate was publicly pronouncing judgment on America.” “Blindly,” he replied, “having no idea what he was pronouncing. As far as he knew, he was only delivering an inspiring speech.” “But unknowingly playing his part in a prophetic mystery.” “Yes. . . and so the words of the ancient vow were now officially joined to America and 9/11. And just as Isaiah’s recording of the vow transformed it into a matter of national record and a prophetic word for all the people, so now the same words were now officially recorded in the Annals of Congress as a matter of national record.”
America’s ground of consecration
St. Paul’s Chapel, was the church protected by the sycamore tree on 9/11. It stands now much as it did on April 30, 1789, when America’s first government entered through its doors. It was here that the nations first president, Senate, and House of Representatives bowed together in prayer to consecrate the new nation’s future into the hands of God. This is the place where the new nation was committed to the Almighty; this is America’s ground of consecration.
Close by is 9/11 “Ground Zero,” “America,” he said, “was committed to God at the corner of what would become Ground Zero. It was here, at Ground Zero, that they all gathered—George Washington, John Adams, America’s Founding Fathers. They all came here to the corner of Ground Zero to pray on the day that America’s foundation was laid. . . as the consecrating act of that foundation. It was here that they came to commit the nation’s future to God’s holy protection. And it was here where that holy protection would be withdrawn.” “The sacred ground.. . the nation’s hedge of protection broken. . . and the ancient principle.. . the ground of dedication becomes the ground of calamity… the judgment returns to the ground of consecration.”
“And literally so, as the massive white cloud born of the destruction literally engulfed the little chapel and the debris and ashes of the falling towers covered its soil.” However, the little church was protected by the sycamore tree.
As soon as the Jews settled in the Holy Land, they began to count and observe seven-year cycles. Every cycle would culminate in a Sabbatical year, known as Shemittah, literally: “to release.”
The year following the destruction of the second Holy Temple was the first year of a seven-year Sabbatical cycle. In the Jewish calendar, counting from Creation, this was the year 3829, 68–69 AD on the secular calendar. By counting sevens from then, we see that the next Shemittah year will be the year 5775 after Creation, which runs from Sept. 25, 2014, through Sept. 13, 2015. The first Shemitah year in the modern State of Israel was 1951 (5712 in the Hebrew calendar). Subsequent Shemitah years have been 1958–59 (5719), 1965–66 (5726), 1972–73 (5733), 1979–80 (5740), 1986–87 (5747), 1993–94 (5754), 2000–01 (5761), and 2007–08 (5768).
The Economic collapse resulting from 9/11 and other factors.
Sept. 17, 2001 The Dow Jones average fell 685 points, the 3rd largest one day decline in history. This coincides exactly with the end of the 2000-01 Shemitah.
September 29, 2008–The Dow Jones average fell 778 points, the largest one day decline in history. The 2nd largest of 733 points was Oct. 15, 2008 and over the 2 weeks including 9/29 fell almost 2,700 points, a decline of almost 25 %. September 29, 2015 coincides eaxactly with the end of the 2007–08 Shemitah.
We are near the end of the current Sabbatical year of Shemitah Sept. 24, 2014–Sept. 13, 2015.
I believe you will be challenged by reading this book:
Henry luke June 8, 2015